Chapel Program, 2020
Queen’s College Chapel welcomes members of the College community, including residents, staff, Wyverns, Fellows, Council members, Academic Associates and members of the broader university public. The Chapel has a long history of ecumenical commitment and welcomes Christians from other traditions, members of other faiths and all members of the Queen’s community irrespective of their religious affiliation or belief. The taking of Holy Communion is open to all members of the Uniting Church and to communicant members of any church in fellowship with the Uniting Church.
Chapel services draw on the Methodist heritage of the College as well as more contemporary Uniting Church traditions. Services normally include hymns, prayers and a short address. Chapel Service begin at 6.30pm followed by light refreshments in the Master’s study.
Semester 1 Dates
Semester 2 Dates
Please contact Dr Stewart Gill if you would like to assist by reading the Scriptures or Prayers. Anyone in need of pastoral support, or who wishes to discover more about the Christian faith, should contact the Master.
The Queen’s College Choir
The Queen’s College Choir performs regularly in the College Chapel and at other College events, as well in concerts, and on tour. Its repertoire reaches from medieval music to newly commissioned works by contemporary Australian composers. The Choir is led by the Choir Director, Mr John Weretka.
The choir has approximately 20 members chosen from within the College and by external audition. Auditions are held annually, generally in November. The choir is composed of the following scholarship-holding positions – Senior Chorister, three Section Leader Choristers, twelve Rank-and-File Choristers, two First-Year Scholars and an Organ Scholar.
A range of choral scholarships for both current college students and external members are available. For more information on joining the choir, or booking the choir for functions, please contact the Choir Director at email@example.com
History of the Chapel
The Queen’s College Chapel was dedicated in 1923 as a memorial to the residents of the College who gave their lives in the Great War of 1914–18. Their names are inscribed in a memorial on the narthex wall. A number of the stained glass windows also commemorate their service along with those who served in the Second World War.